The 10 commandments of copyright on photographs
- Always respect the copyright on photographs.
- Always ask the photographer permission if you want to use his/her photograph.
- Only the photographer can give you consent for the use of his/her photograph, no one else.
- Always make clear agreements about the use and the remuneration.
- Only use the photograph for purposes agreed upon.
- Always try to find out who the author of a photograph is. Don’t use a photograph if you don’t know who the author is.
- Always state the name of the photographer with a picture.
- Don’t edit or crop a photograph without the permission of the photographer.
- Be aware of the rights others can have on a photograph. Also ask them permission for the use.
- Always give the photographer a proof copy of publication.
© Burafo 2007